Identifying Your Injury
Three major types of injury can result from exercise and active living.
- Usually caused by a direct blow to the body by either an object or an opponent!
- Often causes local bruising, swelling and/or tenderness.
Strain or Sprain
- Usually caused by sudden overstretching or due to the muscle/ligament not being warmed up sufficiently.
- Can occur at work, during everyday activities around the home, as well as during sports activities.
- There may be pain, swelling, tenderness and loss of function.
- Usually occurs when soft tissues are not allowed sufficient time to recover in between prolonged periods of repetitive movements/actions.
- Can be caused by the type of work you do or due to the type of sport or physical activity you take part in.
- Symptoms can range from minor aches, pains and pins and needles, to severe dysfunction of an entire limb.
Some basic rules to help prevent injury
In order to prevent injury it's essential to make sure that you take sensible precautions before increasing or taking up a new type of physical activity or sport.
- Know your present level of fitness and be realistic about what your body is capable of.
- Set achievable targets.
- Always warm up/cool down and stretch thoroughly before taking part in any physical exercise or sporting activity.
- Know the rules of the game you are playing and stick to them.
- Use the best equipment you can afford and take expert advice in choosing it.
- Do not exercise trough pain. If you have, or suspect an injury, you must take expert advice at the earliest opportunity.